The National School Program
The focus of the National School Program in aligning with the mission of The First Tee is to establish a lifelong interest in golf by engaging young people in a structured golf curriculum that promotes character development within a physical education setting. The National School Program is an in-school component that encompasses an overview of the game of golf and how it is played, basic skills instruction, and an introduction to the life-enhancing values inherent in the game via The First Tee Nine Core Values™.
The National School Program provides a tremendous value to the overall school-wide curriculum because it is developmentally appropriate and emphasizes character education, fitness, and golf as a lifelong activity. The First Tee National School Program provides each participating school with training, a comprehensive curriculum manual with step-by-step progressive lesson plans and golf equipment. The Golf equipment is an introductory, safe system of modified clubs, balls and targets designed to permit effective teaching of students new to the sport of golf. Each set contains enough equipment to include 25 to 45 students in productive and safe activity.
- Provide a complete golf program appropriate for today’s elementary school physical education students and teachers
- Enable physical educators to introduce golf, in a developmentally appropriate manner, consistent with national standards developed by SHAPE America
- Develop student appreciation for the positive personal and social values associated with the game with each lesson
- Engage students in daily lesson activities that lead to motor skill development
- Present golf to students as a lifelong recreation and physical fitness activity
The First Tee DRIVE
In Youth Centers: After-School Programs
We believe our values extend beyond the golf course, which is why we launched a program to meet youth where they spend time.
The First Tee DRIVE is the perfect activity for young people because it Develops Rewarding, Inspiring Values for Everyone.
Specifically designed for youth-serving organizations, like the Y and the Boys & Girls Club, The First Tee DRIVE gives kids the chance to learn about golf and develop character through fun golf games.
How The First Tee DRIVE Works
We supply the curriculum, the equipment and the training for youth leaders to deliver the program. Much like our other programs, The First Tee DRIVE is designed to introduce kids to golf and The First Tee Nine Core Values — honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, respect, confidence, responsibility, perseverance, courtesy and judgment.
Our Program Objectives
- Enable youth leaders to introduce golf using modified sports and games in ways that fit the ages and abilities of the young people in their care
- Engage young people in fun, safe activities that promote wellness and health-enhancing lifestyles
- Develop appreciation for the positive values associated with golf through each activity and extend those behaviors to other areas of their lives